Who Taught the Sermon on the Mount?

A space to discuss the essay “Who Taught The Sermon on the Mount?”

2 Likes

I agree with you, we must read God’s Word with correct discernment. The Apostle Paul told Timothy to rightfully divide the Word of God (read 2 Tim 2:15). It’s important to know the author, the audience, the setting, the time period, the culture, and the intent of the message. It is easy to twist Scripture and add meaning that you want to it to have. It is harder to stay within God’s intended meaning which requires spiritual discernment from the Holy Spirit! Thank you Carson so very much for bringing this to our attention. I look forward to the insightful responses from the Uncommon Pursuit Community!

3 Likes

I believe Jesus is speaking to His Jewish disciples. He seems to encourage them to do good works. In fact, He tells them, “…unless your righteous exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 5:20). However, we know it is not by works that we are saved, but by faith in the finished work (His work on the cross) of Jesus that saves!!! Yet we know the Law is good. However, the Law does not save! Transformation will increase from glory to glory by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, not by the works we do! It is better to follow Christ than it is to follow the Law. Christ saves, the Law condemns us. I think Jesus is saying, “follow Me, I am the way, the Truth and the Life!”

2 Likes