What's So Special About Being Human? Dr. Carmen Imes

What does it mean to be human?

There are endless debates about human identity and purpose.

Sadly, Christians are not always known for valuing every human - or for caring about God’s creation.

A former missionary to the Philippines, Dr. Imes earned her Ph.D. from Wheaton College. She’s a member of respected academic societies, an active speaker, and the author of Being God’s Image.

Being God’s Image helps us understand what it means to be made as God’s image bearers - and the revolutionary implications.

You and your church are invited to join us for this free event. Please share the registration link: What's So Special About Being Human?

After registering, the link to the event will be sent to you the day before, on Sunday, August 13th.

For now, reply to this post and let me know: what questions do you want me to ask Carmen?

4 Likes

Looking forward to this talk. I have one question -

As we see artificial intelligence being able to mimic humans in creating art, writing, problem solving, etc, I have wondered about the role some of these abilities play in the definition of being human. To what extent are our natural abilities as humans a reflection of being made in the image of God?

3 Likes

It seems that man’s capacity for reasoning (logic) and creativity (arts) has now been duplicated by AI. Emotions are said to have been observed from some animals. If emojis are valid expressions of emotions, then even that (i.e., feelings) has been hijacked from us by technology. What remains then to distinguish us from other creatures to reflect the so called imago dei? Is it just man’s trichotomous nature that’s left?

3 Likes

One more question - Whom was God speaking to in Gen 1:26 when he said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness”? Is being made in God’s image unique to humans or are there other spiritual beings that bear God’s image?

2 Likes

Are unborn babies still inside their mothers created in the image of God? What will happen to them during the resurrection? Why isn’t the Christian population more outraged by the massive killing of babies by abortion?

1 Like

I’m wondering how many of the people in the community have engaged with the video. I’m new. I’ve just watched it. Dr. Imes did not address any of these questions- but gave us a vision of everyone being made in God’s image.

mankind does not image the character of God well. Speaking personally, I don’t image the character of God well. I have had the unfortunate experience of living alienated from my Christian wife for over 5 years now. The basics of love and forgiveness and forbearing with one another simply became too hard.

This kind of discussion puts our theological understanding to the test. Relationships with one another are so difficult in the everyday struggles of life- so how to live at peace with one another is a key question of living out a credible faith, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I was divorced from my wife in 2007. We remarried just last month, on November 14, 2023. We remembered the covenant we made with each other and with GOD. My wife and I don’t image God well. However, with God’s help, we can keep our covenants with God and each other. Not because we like it, but because it is the right thing to do. God gives us the power to do the right thing. He may not give us the desire to do the right thing, but He gives us the power to do the right thing. I hope and pray that you and your wife draw closer together as God so desires it to be. Hopefully the desire will follow the obedience and all will be blessed. God bless you and yours.

2 Likes

Kim, That is some testimony and some journey. Thanks for sharing.

You make an excellent point- our desires and the power available to please God. There is so much instruction in the Bible concerning both.

Thanks for your encouragement.

2 Likes

Life is challenging just as Jesus said it would be. However, in Christ, we can do all things. I take that to mean, even things that are hard to do, can be done in Christ. After reading Romans 7, I get the impression that even the great Apostle Paul struggled with doing the right thing. I believe we too will struggle with doing the right things in life. However, we can do the right things.

You are right. philippians makes the same points. Paul had to learn contentment- by being content in difficult situations. Go figure!! Want to mature as a disciple? be prepared to share the sufferings of Christ.

Pardon? Did I hear that correctly?