The greatest sermon ever…

I’ve been reflecting recently on the story of Jesus walking with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus.

beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. Luke 24:27

I love how Jesus went through all the scriptures that pointed to him. I imagine it must have taken hours! I like how Jack Deere describes it in his book ‘Surprised by the Voice of God’:

Think of it. The greatest sermon ever preached was preached by Jesus to only two people.

I’ve enjoyed reflecting on this for the reason that Jesus emphasised the importance of the scriptures for the verification of who He is, but also that the Apostles must have based all their teaching on the words that Jesus spoke on the road to Emmaus. I imagine that much of what we read about the preaching in Acts comes back from what was said on that walk along the road.

3 Likes

I have not read the book, but I have always thought of the Emmaus Road encounter as the best “Sunday school lesson ever” and the commissioning as the “best seminary lecture,” but a rooster gave the best sermon. :grinning:

2 Likes