The Fulfillment of Psalm 1

Hi friends,

I’ve had a question on my mind for a few weeks: “How does Jesus fulfill the Old Testament?”

It is showing me new insights as I read through the Old Testament.

For instance, I was meditating on Psalm 1:

How happy is the one who does not walk in the advice of the wicked or stand in the pathway with sinners or sit in the company of mockers!

Instead, his delight is in the LORD’s instruction, and he meditates on it day and night.

He is like a tree planted beside flowing streams that bears its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

The wicked are not like this; instead, they are like chaff that the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand up in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

And then I realized… this psalm describes Jesus!

I’ve heard that before, but it clicked.

Then the next domino fell: and this same Jesus has made his home with me!

What better friend could I have to help me delight in the Lord’s instruction, and to put it into practice?

1 Like

I have just been preparing something for a group tomorrow based on Hebrews 12:14-29. I see Jesus fulfilling OT here too with the stark comparison of two mountains: Mt Sinai and Mt Zion.

At Sinai (Exodus 19), Israel couldn’t stand on the mountain. They had to camp at the foot and if anyone touched the mountain (human or animal) they had to die. Moses was the mediator between Israel and God, he brought the first covenant to Israel but in his anger at their sin, he smashed the tablets and had to redo them up the mountain again.

At Zion, the future of God’s kingdom, everyone trusting in God’s Grace can ascend the mountain. There is no death for them. Jesus is the mediator and his sprinkled blood covers all else, speaking a better word than the blood of Abel.

I love how Moses, Sinai and the Old Covenant points to Jesus but human sin continued to be the barrier between God who is ‘an all consuming fire’ and the people, whereas Jesus, Zion, and the New Covenant enables all who have trusted the blood of Jesus to enter freely. The Old Testament Sinai is a shadow of what is fulfilled on Zion in future by Jesus.

1 Like