Religious hypocrisy

Every day, another scandal is created - and another scandal is revealed - among Christian leaders.

It can be discouraging.

But then I remember these people are not representing Jesus. They are only pretending to do so.

Because Jesus was crystal clear about who represented him - and who did not.

As Jesus said (recorded in Matthew 23):

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of the bones of the dead and every kind of impurity.

In the same way, on the outside you seem righteous to people, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

You build the tombs of the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous, and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we wouldn’t have taken part with them in shedding the prophets’ blood.’

So you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets.

Fill up, then, the measure of your ancestors’ sins!

They’re hard words, but it’s so encouraging to know that Jesus clearly perceived what was going on, and directly challenged this nonsense.

1 Like

Remember these people who are hypocrites are the ones who are hurting themselves. Wouldn’t you think in their mind they would have a little knowledge that something is not really right. I am hoping the Spirit would get in their mind to give a little nudge to the proper way. But one does have to listen to the Spirit. You think working with people is tough, God has a tough job, he can keep that job. We the people are not easy people to live with at times. Kris Swartz

2 Likes

Great points Kris!

They’re hurting themselves, and thank God that he’s the one who takes ultimate responsibility for them!

I appreciate your encouragement and perspective.

1 Like