Reflecting on our significance in God

As someone who came to faith in Christ as a highschooler several years ago, I heard plenty of sermons about how idolatry may take shape in our modern lives. I was well aware that that the world will tell us wealth, influence, power and career matter and that I had to be careful not to seek significance through these things. When we dont seek or achieve these things, we are in fact treated like we dont matter in this world sometimes. But as Christians, we know God has given each of us value, as he made us in the image of God, and sent his son into this broken world to die on the cross for our sins. How must our value in Christ shape and order our desires, our goals, our relationships? Does it just mean thinking our earthly lives are insignificant and only eternity matters? It appears somewhat true and humble but it is a lie, as when we truly embrace it, we may miss the significance that God wants us to have in giving us life in this world.

God promises us rewards for how we live and what we are rewarded for can be a place to discover our significance in the world as God desires for us. As I looked at some bible verses on rewards, building a life of significance in the eyes of God is about whether what we do glorifies God (Col 3:23-24), how well did we use what we were blessed with (Matt 25:21), how did we treat others (Prov 3:3-4), where our faith and hope is in trials (2 Tim 4:7-8, James 1:12), whether we are humble (1 Peter 5:6), how we discipline ourselves for the Lord’s work (1 Cor 9:25), whethere we were good to all (Luke 6:33).

I only picked a few verses but I think its summed up very well in 1 Peter.

2 Peter 1:5-11 ESV - For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ…10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

When we build our significance on what God thinks of us, no one and nothing can take our significance away. So, its not about feeling our earthly pursuits dont matter at all, but how they fit in the overall plan of God and how well we live it.

6 Likes

Hi @lakshmi, I strongly agree with you.

Often, theology is distorted for a reason. That is, there’s usually a connection between a false teaching and a false way of life.

First, this teaching can function to validate the pastor and other ‘full-time’ vocational ministries as being superior to other roles in the Body of Christ.

This denies the equality of all believers - we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

It also denies the priesthood of all believers - we all have a role to play in God’s world.

Second, it can function to pressure church members to contribute more to the church’s work, even if this means neglecting themselves, their families, or their vocations.

Yes, we can overprioritize those areas to the neglect of the church, too!

But one extreme doesn’t correct another extreme - it just replaces one dysfunction with another.

Third, as you mentioned and I want to emphasize, it can mean we miss out on the fulfillment and joy of giving us and others life as we contribute our giftings to the needs of others, whether at work, at home, in our community, and so on.

I think it’s so important that we deeply analyze how we are finding significance, because this is a core part of our humanity. As we connect our significance to the gift of grace that God has given us - not just for salvation, but the grace of participating in God’s plan in the world - we will find increasing fulfillment.

4 Likes

So beautifully summed up! Thanks for building further on the thought.

I have seen several young people in their twenties or so give up plans to nurture their natural talents because of a belief that only through ministry they can live their lives worthy of God. There are places where pastors and missionaries can’t reach with the love of God but others can.

I appreciate the advice on deeply analyzing how we gain significance. Its not just about recognizing our worth and staying strong in Christ when someone doesn’t treat us well. Its much more than that. It shapes all areas of our lives.

2 Likes

I really liked the passage you shared from 2 Peter, as this encapsulates our significance and calling for both this life and the next.

We have a clear calling from God, and it seems it’s for this life in particular; a calling to be effective and fruitful with the gospel being manifest in our own lives and sharing it to see other lives changed. The qualities of virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, affection and love will only stem from lives that are rooted in significance in Christ. I know from my own life that during times where I lacked understanding of my own significance in Christ, I failed to grow in these other qualities. Lack of significance leaves a wound in one’s spirit that has to be patched up by worldy antidotes that always fail. I know well that when I’ve carried this wound from lack of relationship with God that the remedies I fell to did not incorporate love, self-control or affection, and certainly not virtue. The knowledge I sought was not that of God.

In consequence of that which I have reflected on above, our perspective is altered in the light of eternity. Confirming our calling and election is a daily practice, that we remind ourselves of our place now and in eternity. I love how knowing our significance in God’s kingdom now will not only give us an entrance into eternity with God, but it’s ‘richly provided’. I do think it’s part of our daily habits with God that this significance is reinforced and understood more deeply. It flows directly from an active and persistent devotion to God. It gives significance to our lives in the present and the future.

3 Likes

Glad you commented on this. A vibrant daily relationship with the Lord is the fuel for a life of significance in Christ.

3 Likes

This fits right in with the group Bible study i attended yesterday. "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. "(John 15:4)

Maintaining connection with Christ is everything. Our attitudes are being renewed day by day- as we rest in His mercy and grace, and surrender our lives to work with Him in the world.

3 Likes

Its nice to read your post again @geoff. Its always encouraging when God reinforces his message for us in more than one way. God’s blessings to you.

3 Likes