Jesus the Wise

In Proverbs 9, we find a description of two women: Lady Wisdom and Rowdy Folly.

Lady Wisdom has a house of seven pillars - it’s a well-supported place to live (Proverbs 9:1).

She invites anyone who wants to know her to eat her bread and drink her wine.

By contrast, Rowdy Folly “is gullible and knows nothing” (Proverbs 9:13). Anyone who visits her house ends up “in the depths of Sheol” (Proverbs 9:18).

I don’t want to over-interpret the connection, but there’s at least a thematic connection to Matthew 7:24-27. At the conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus contrasts the wise man who builds his house on the rock and the foolish man who builds his house on the sand.

As I meditate on this theme, it’s wonderful to remember that Jesus is the true fulfillment of Lady Wisdom. (As we read in 1 Corinthians 1:24, “Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God”).

Jesus is fully identified with the human experience. He invites us to build our lives on a secure foundation - on his life and wisdom.

It’s always good to hear that Jesus saves us from our sins, but how refreshing that Jesus is also a wise guide who helps us navigate the complexities and challenges of life!

Christianity is about far more than a ticket to heaven. It’s about living with God’s wisdom, which enables us to build a sturdy foundation for our lives.

2 Likes

Amen. A few other verses come to mind that may help in seeing Jesus as the fulfillment of the wisdom of God.

John 1:1-3 ESV - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Proverbs 3:19 ESV - The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens;

It was interesting to see the theme of ‘seven’ in how wisdom builds a house on seven pillars as it reminded me of John’s vision in the book of Revelation, of our Lord Jesus in the midst of seven lampstands representing seven churches.

Putting Proverbs 9:1, Rev 1:12-13 and Rev 1:20 together, what I learn is that it takes faithfulness to wisdom of God to establish God’s perfect church. Its not enough for Christians to pursue wisdom individually but we need to do it collectively for a thriving global church. As we seek our Lord Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, our individual ideas about wisdom will begin to look more and more similar being conformed to the wisdom of our Lord Jesus.

2 Likes