How to use different Bible versions in UP

Hi Everyone,

When typing a post or reply you may have noticed that if you simply type a Bible reference then the system will automatically convert it to a link. Readers can then hover or click on the link to display a tooltip with a preview of the verse or passage being referenced using the system’s default Bible translation.

John 3:16 by itself will use HCSB translation, which is the system default at the time of this writing.

However, if you want to use different translations in a post, then it is as easy as adding the translation’s code to the end of your reference. I’ve listed some translation codes below for easy reference.

• American Standard Version - John 3:16 ASV
  • Darby Translation - John 3:16 DARBY
  • English Standard Version - John 3:16 ESV
  • God’s Word - John 3:16 GW
  • Holman Christian Standard Version - John 3:16 HCSB current system default
  • King James Version - John 3:16 KJV
  • Lexham English Bible - John 3:16 LEB
  • Message Bible - John 3:16 MESSAGE
  • New Century Version - John 3:16 NCV
  • New International Version - John 3:16 NIV
  • New International Reader’s Version - John 3:16 NIRV
  • New King James Version - John 3:16 NKJV
  • New Living Translation - John 3:16 NLT
  • Young Literal Translation - John 3:16 YLT

One thing to keep in mind is that the codes do need to be in ALL CAPS to work.
“John 3:16 asv” does not result in the verse being in American Standard Version and will instead use the system default.

I hope you find this information helpful. This is a feature that I discovered for myself quite by accident. So chime in if I missed anything that can be helpful to the UP community.

EDIT: One more discovery about how to reference scripture in UP. You can reference a whole chapter by removing the space between the book and the chapter.

John3 ESV

4 Likes

Thanks for this post, @chris! Very helpful information to know. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@chris, I had no idea we could do this. Thank you for figuring it out and explaining it so clearly for our benefit!

2 Likes

I had no idea! Thanks so much for sharing your discovery!

3 Likes