Discuss: Navigating Politics As A Christian

Differences can create distance.

American politics is getting more and more polarized - and our political allegiances are at risk of overtaking our commitment to Jesus.

How can disciples of Jesus navigate these disagreements in a way that honors God?

I share three questions that are helping me stay grounded in my faith - and I hope they help you as well.

1. Who is the Lord of your heart?

2. Do your politics make Jesus look beautiful?

3. Are you shouting or listening?

(Please note that our community is not a place for arguing over partisan politics. Rather, we want to discuss how to live as disciples of Jesus when there is intense polarization. Our community is global and welcomes participants from many nations and cultures).

1 Like

Regardless of stripe point them to this link. I think this speaks volumes to your post.

Thanks Jimmy. What are some specific ways this link helps you navigate politics in a way that glorifies God?

It depends on what you mean by glorifying God: a chorus of hallelujahs or sackcloth and ashes. Both are examples of God being glorified. The link represents a sackcloth and ash moment for me, not that I agree with Deb’s politics. Still, it is an example of government overreach (some people would suggest this is still alive and well in America) this was confirmed by the next administration, Calvin Coolidge, by presidential order to release Debs in 1921. He was servng a 10 year prison sentnce for sedition, sound familiar?
When I read your commentary on0 politics in America, I sensed a bias that came out in your video when you contrasted the two opposing groups as Biden or Maga supporters. Why not liberal and conservative or democrat and republican? When this is done, it deflects from the real issues of what is happening in our country, and I would suggest even in the Western world. In the political arena, no one is arguing for heaven or hell, but people are arguing for how they want to live, not where they want to spend eternity.
I am not going to argue the pros and cons of the divide, but I will ask if one is more Biblical than the other. Do I demonstrate this by listening to the shouting? Is my time on earth as a Christian to be spent as a passive observer, or do I pass out the ice water and offer thought-provoking platitudes?
We have had this conversation before citizenship has value for everyone (ask Paul), believer and non-believer alike, and to jump into and out of the secular world of politics (that is what we have in America) is dishonest and does nothing to make Jesus more beautiful as if he needs any help. I can’t say that I am on my way to Zion (my true citizenship) and ignore the fact the world is on fire and, oh, by the way, expect a tax break before I leave.
Thoughts and comments?

I hear you.

One vision for how I want to live, and find expression in this community and our local churches, is the sermon on the mount. I don’t think Christianity is only about eternity, but also about how we thrive in our day to day lives.

I’m not sure what you mean, but I’m curious to hear more.

It seems to me that if my absolute loyalty is to God and his kingdom that there will always be areas where I can affirm earthly politics and places where I must offer challenge.

By contrast, if my absolute loyalty is to a particular party, then I will have to modify what it means to follow Jesus in order to accommodate my political group.

I agree that Jesus doesn’t need our help. However, because he is beautiful, it would be wrong for me to act or speak in a way that makes him look ugly.

These thoughts or similar have been on my mind for some time now. I’ll answer as preented.

1. Jesus is the Lord of my heart. As much as I am able, to the best of my understanding, when I am not battling my own rebellion, willfulness and pride, when I remember who Jesus is and why I love Him, He is the Lord of my heart.
  2. Do my politics make Jesus look beautiful? Beautiful is in the eyes of the beholder. What I see as beautiful is evolving and growing (or hopefully is) as l learn about Jesus and who He is.
    As I understand things in America and politics right now, it’s become a matter of truth vs belief. The confusion that belief is truth when it is not. Truth is always true, it never changes. We might not know it, understand it, agree with it, fight against it, or have never heard it, it remains truth.
    Jesus is truth, He never changes. That is His beauty.
  3. Am I shouting or listening? I will not affirm what I know to be false about God and the gospel. I hope to remain calm under pressure but I make no promises.
2 Likes