Depression issues and my faith

This is a very intense topic and I do not know what to write here. I have had depression issues, but I know after my stroke almost four years ago this November. I was a very depressed-and angry until I had the stroke. God has been a part of my life since 2005 and in the last year I have gotten closer to him and drawn away from the anger and depression.
The Psalmist must have really not allowed Jesus all the way into his life to be so depressed. I know as I grew with the Holy Spirit and yes, I have grown a lot since 2005. I used to yell, scream, cuss like a sailor, argue with people, etc. I was a very unhappy and depressed individual. Also, there are other factors that have caused me not to be so angry and depressed, I quit working when the pandemic and also driving happened and that. I was still angry, but when that stroke happened that November all my stresses and worries went away too. I moved from Las Vegas back in with my parents the following November and haven’t yelled or cussed been angry or got into any arguments with my children. I don’t let all the stress and worry take control. I let God take control of me.

5 Likes

@christina4, I’m so grateful for your testimony.

When I think about having a stroke, it seems like something that would only be bad. But, amazingly, for you, by the grace of God, it transformed you so that you can trust God, be at peace, and be kinder to your family.

As I’ve read through the Psalms, it strikes me that some of them were exceedingly depressed. I’ve written about how this unflinching honesty encourages me (The Prayer No One Wants To Pray — Uncommon Pursuit).

Or Psalm 69…

1 Save me, God,

for the water has risen to my neck.

2 I have sunk in deep mud, and there is no footing;

I have come into deep water,

and a flood sweeps over me.

3 I am weary from my crying;

my throat is parched.

My eyes fail, looking for my God.

4 Those who hate me without cause

are more numerous than the hairs of my head;

my deceitful enemies, who would destroy me,

are powerful.

Though I did not steal, I must repay.

It seems that David does actively trust God - he’s praying to him. Yet his circumstances are desperate, and internally, he is at the end of his strength.

I think we’re complex creatures. Even if our faith is strong, our body can be weak. Even if we are trusting God, our psychological strength might be decimated. And so on. So, I think it’s possible to have strong faith and also be bitterly depressed.

4 Likes

Thank you Christina for sharing. I am dealing with depression since January 17, 2013. I know that date is implanted in me. I was diagnosed with a very rare autoimmune disorder that changed my life I went from being an athlete to not being allowed to to ride my bike any more or do any kind of running or swimming. My health has been deteriorating now for years, going for simple walks is hard. But every day I still get up in the morning with a great smile and attitude and I thank God every day for another day of living. I suffer in silence. And for some reason I was able to send you my thought. So I would like to thank you Christina for sharing . Bless You

4 Likes

The great prophet Elijah fell into deep depression after his great victory in faith.

3 Likes