This is about how I feel today. Like I’m going thru something I’m not sure what it is. But I feel like God is distance from me. I wanted to start a Bible study group last night but I didn’t realize the time was wrong due to smoke breaks and med time. So no one came but I’m thinking of doing it on a Saturday and see what happens. But I know there are others who want to participate in it so I feel like it’s a good thing. But I’m wondering if I’m doing it for the people and leaving God out of it. That’s what it feels like. Any advice would be much appreciated!
I’m sorry to hear your Bible study didn’t get much traction. Starting something new can be so discouraging when people don’t show up. Please don’t give up hope though!
Based on my experience, here are some ideas that may help:
- Make a list of people you think might be interested and pray for them specifically. Ask God to open their hearts.
- Reach out to them personally, either face-to-face or with a phone call. A personal invitation can go a long way versus a generic email blast.
- When you talk to them, explain why you think they would enjoy the study and how you believe it could encourage them. Draw out their interests and connect the study to that.
- For those who decline, be gracious. Tell them you understand and they are welcome any time. Then move the conversation to something they’re passionate about.
- For those who are unsure, gently probe their concerns and listen attentively. See if you can ease their worries, but don’t pressure. Offer to follow-up later with more info that addresses their issues.
- For those who say yes, get contact info and availability. Aim for consensus on the best time/place to accommodate as many as possible. Also ask if they have any friends who might want to join.
Starting something new is hard, but with prayer, persistence and sensitivity to others’ needs, it can happen! Let us know if you have any other questions. We’re happy to help!
Thank you so much for the advice. Will take those to be very helpful. Will let you know what happens. God bless!