Humble Joy

The Advent Community Journal for the “Humble Joy” devotional (The Gift of Advent, 58-60).

● Read Mary’s Magnificat out loud — not in a somber, pious manner, but with wholehearted enthusiasm — as your own prayer to God (Luke 1:46-55).

● What themes from this song encourage your heart?

● How does God choosing to bless the humble bring you joy?

2 Likes

I have never used the words of Mary in Luke 1:46-45 as my own prayer. But I do resonate with the first half of verse 48. Its true in my experience.

Luke 1:48 - for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.

I grew up in the the shadow of more successful siblings and friends and was often the target for jokes among friends. When I felt unnoticed, God noticed and sent a Christian girl who shared the gospel with me. Through her friendship I experienced much joy in teenage years for which I am ever thankful.

Now as a parent, I have my own experience and God’s promises to pass on to our children. It hasn’t been all easy and once again I look to God’s promises such as the one in Luke 1:50.

3 Likes

Something that stood out to my children and me earlier was that we can feel so ordinary and anonymous sometimes. However, God never overlooks us. He knows our very being and calls us into his presence and blessing. This is a joy for us which we can share with others who may be overlooked and anonymous to society. It’s certainly a reminder that we can let others know that God sees them, as he saw Mary, Hannah and Hagar:

She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.” 14 That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi. it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered. (Gen 16:13-14)

2 Likes